We’ve come a long way since left handers were considered inferior, blamed for witchcraft or forced to write with their right hand in school, with their left arm tied behind them. Only 10% of the population are left handed and a few of us happen to be in the office, so in celebration of International Left Handers day we’ve picked out the craziest facts we could find about left handers…
- Left handed people are surprisingly better at sports; this could be due to the fact that lefties get more opportunities to play right handers than vice versa.
- The last five Presidents in America have been left handed, coincidence? A theory by a Dutch researcher explains that left-handed candidates may have an advantage when televised. This is because their mirror image makes them seem as if they’re gesturing with a right hand which is subconsciously interpreted as ‘good.’
- Famous British lefties include the Queen, Prince William, Winston Churchill, Henry Ford, Ross Kemp, David Bowie and Pierce Brosnan.
- Mothers over forty may be more likely to have left-handed babies, according to a study in New England.
- The word ‘left’ stems from the old English word ‘lyft’ which means ‘weak’.
Raise a hand to all those lefties in your life today, or even try doing things the left handed way for the day!